List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Replacing Toolbar Icons in KOffice
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-02 8:44:57

David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 01 December 2003 05:14, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>May I please butt in here?
>>
>>I ask/suggest that we not make the same mistake that was make with: "Kile".  These are
>>nice icons but they are the CrystalSVG style and therefore should be added as that style
>>rather than replacing the hicolor icons.

I thought that I was clear.  What is the point of having the ability to have different
icon themes if this feature is not used by applications?

I think that it is best to have the "old" icons which are KDEClasic style be the 'hicolor'
icons and the new CrystalSVG icons installed as 'crystalsvg'.  In which case if the user
chooses the CrystalSVG icon theme the application will use CrystalSVG icons for its tool
bars and if the user chooses another icon theme and has not installed icons for that theme
then it will use the KDEClasic icons which were installed as 'hicolor'.  This is my
recommendation.

Alternatively, the CrystalSVG icons could be installed as 'hicolor' and the "old" icons
could be installed as 'kdeclasic'.  This would force the use of CrystalSVG as the default
if the user had chosen any icon theme other than KDEClasic.  I don't think that this is
the best solution.

The point is that the CrystalSVG icons should not replace the current KDEClasic icons.

--
JRT