List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How about drawers
From:       "Luke Chatburn" <luke () linuxcomment ! com>
Date:       2003-11-30 14:53:27

Hi all

With respect to Drawers, they are a OSX flourish that can be as easily
produced by sidebars, menus and layers. It's not a big thing. More to the
point, it does pevent you from maximising windows, which is a real issue.

To avoid that, you can have internal drawers, which are, in effect, sidebar
panes :)

I think everyone might want to consider, however, introducing Carddesk into
the KDE main project. Slicker were using it, but they are dead, is seems,
and they did nothing else than wait for the bloke writing the Cards to add
features for them.

Cards are actually a very useful feature, since they can be used as internal
drawers, which can be collected, represent multiple tasks and be fully
customised. The code already exists for operating cards on a desktop, so it
would take little work to add them to an application too, which is just
another X surface, after all.

What I would very much like to see, is the ability to have a Card on the
desktop at all times (maybe thin and running top to bottom on the right)
with a Konqy FM window embedded, displaying the home directory. Click on it,
and it rolls the FM window out. Click again and it shrinks back again. It
saves running extra Konqy windows, and it also has the benefit that when
closed, it only uses a thin strip of the right side of the desktop. In
standard 4/3 screens, we've got the extra horizontal area to play with.

No more of those conceptual problems about the Home/Desktop loop problem...
And easy access to files in a managable way. It would provide easy DnD to
other applications, simply rolling out as needed, letting things be dragged
to and from the home and subdirs, and it would give the KDE desktop a unique
feel.

Thoughts?

-Luke