List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: ideas for easier file handling/navigating/opening
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2003-11-20 21:19:21

Am Donnerstag, 20. November 2003 19:26 schrieb Gordon Tyler:
> Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> >>Yea, opening the file in its own app window.  What's wrong with that?
> >
> > Results in a window which usually overlaps with the browsing window.
> > Sometimes disgusting.
>
> Oh dear! There's more than one window on my screen! Whatever shall I do?
> I know! I'll switch back to MSDOS!

<needless comment>
For some things DOS really serves all that is needed. Like I won't take a car
to go fetch something from next room... Don't make it look bad for nothing ;)
</needless comment>

> Please excuse the sarcasm, but I like to expect just a *little*
> intelligence in users. Just a tad.

How could I deal with annoyance by being an intelligent user, other than
begging for changes? When I browse over a certain number of files I
sometimes, yes, sometimes would like to have everything in my view without
needing to move windows around.

This is all about handling the windows, nothing less. The more windows you
have, the nastier it gets.

> There's an alarming trend on this mailing list to always go for what the
> newbie user would be able to use (or so they think) with no
> consideration for others. Please remember that KDE is used by people
> other than your 70 year old grandmother.

Yes. Me = wrong target here (around 50 views/windows right now). I can come up
with a bunch of power users whishes (and feel aches for every
make-it-primitive suggestion I read on the list).

Read my last posting carefully? ;) Where is your contra against my argueing
with kate/kdevelop etc.? Look at the app right in front of you: An extra
window for each email? No? Why?

;)

Friedrich