List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: ksytray madness
From:       Simon Perreault <perrea02 () gel ! ulaval ! ca>
Date:       2003-10-23 16:52:28

Fabrice Mous wrote:
> So a nice solution would be that I could choose wether I want the icon to be
> displayed in ksystray.

How about the Windows XP way of doing it, for a start?

The Windows XP way:

- Systray icons can become hidden. When there are hidden icons, a button
with a left-pointing arrow appears in the left end of the systray.
Clicking on that button expands the systray, showing the hidden icons.
The button label becomes a right-pointing arrow. When clicking on that
button, the systray shrinks and the hidden icons are not shown.

- If an icon is inactive for some amount of time, it becomes hidden. I
don't really know what is meant by "inactive", but guesses could be:
	- When an icon is clicked on, its inactivity timer is reset.
	- When an icon's appearance changes, its inactivity timer is reset.
	- When an app shows a passive popup, its inactivity timer is reset.

- For each application which has been shown at least once in the
systray, there is a hiding mode setting that can take these values:
	- Hide when inactive (default)
	- Always show
	- Always hide

Of course we could (and should) improve this. Thoughts?