List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Home folder?
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2003-10-22 10:42:41

Am Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2003 12:03 schrieb Craig Drummond:
> > imo its "Home" or "Home directory" but never "Home folder"
>
> I have no problem with "Home" - but if all other "folders" are to be called
> "folder", why not home? What makes it so special? If "Home" is *really*
> prefered over "Home Folder", then I'll change it - would just like a *good*
> (non-programmer) reason.

A good non-programmer reason is that the home directory ;) is a special place
in that this is the root of a user's own world where he is allowed to place
his files and folders/directories the way he likes. Thus home :)

A plain user never might want to reach outside his home directory. So his home
directory is the base of his world. Only on occasion might he want to step
outside his home and enter another user's one to get access to his files.

So it depends on the view: For root all home directories may be home folder,
for a user his own home directory is just home.

So I would vote for "Home".
"My Folder", as suggested by Allan on core-devel, is funny, though ;)

Friedrich