List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KMail Search dialog
From:       Christoph Niemann <cnieman () suse ! de>
Date:       2003-10-21 12:30:45

Hello,

I've been thinking about the KMail-Search dialog. In my opinion the current
dialog (dialog8.png) looks much too clutered. In paticular I do not like the
empty list view and the status bar.

So I created three UI-files. KMailSearch.ui is the main dialog. The button
"Multiple Folders..." leads to the popup KMailSearch_folders.ui. The "Search"
button redraws the dialog to KMailSearch_result.ui. "Back" takes you back to
KMailSearch.

The aims in this design were:
  - Less space (especially less wide), because the current dialog takes too
    much space on low res displays
  - Opportunity to use more than two search criteria

Furthermore, I think Mozilla's "quicksearch" capability is rather desirable.
On top of the message list you find one row with a combobox and a textinput.
If you type in the textfield it performs a progressive search in the current
folder.

| Inbox | ( Subject or Sender ) _______________________ [ Advanced... ] |
|  +... +---------------------------------------------------------------+
|  +... | msg 1 ...                                                     |
|  +... | msg 2 ...                                                     |
|       | msg 3 ...                                                     |
   ...    ...

What do you think about that?

Greetings,
Christoph

--
 | Christoph Niemann <cnieman@suse.de>
 | SuSE Usability Guild
 |
 | Contrary to popular opinion, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'fact'.

["dialog8.png" (image/png)]
["KMailSearch_folders.ui" (application/x-designer)]
["KMailSearch_result.ui" (application/x-designer)]
["KMailSearch.ui" (application/x-designer)]