List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Folder" or "Directory"?
From:       Krisztian Mark Szentes <mark () szentes ! org>
Date:       2003-10-17 14:48:00

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:44:37 +0200
> From: Luciano Montanaro <mikelima@virgilio.it>
> Subject: Re: "Folder" or "Directory"?
> To: "Craig Drummond" <Craig.Drummond@gmx.net>
> Cc: kde-core-devel@kde.org
> On Thursday 16 October 2003 14:45, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > > The AmigaOS uses drawers. Also I think there are icon sets that use
> > > drawers
> >
> > Atari TOS had file-cabinets representing the disk-drives, adn then
> > fodlers for folders, and "paper" for files.

> > > represent directories. In fact having files whithin folders is a
> > > strange concept in itself.
> >
> > Why? Files are represented as pictures of paper (with an icon) - and
> > folders often have paper inside. The fact is that *most* OS's use the
> > term "Folder". Anyway, my argument was that they should use the same
> > term if they are to use the same icon. There may be different icon
> > sets with "drawers" for folders - but the fact is that KDE's standard
> > icon is a folder. Doesn't the fact that konqueror has the option to
> > create a new directory, and then uses a "folder" to represent this,
> > not seem silly?
[...]
I agree with Craig and  Troels. For me, the term "directory" might mean
many different concepts besides "folder". With respect to the UI and data
organisation seen by the user, folder seems much appropriate to me. I am
glad discussions such as folder vs directory get settled once for all
times.

> In any case, consider the extra work translator will have to do for this
> change... as a translator, I'd much prefer such changes, if necessary,
> to be done after the KDE3.2 release.

Isn't it just search and replace?

Salut

Mark

--
"No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got
there first, and is waiting for it"