List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu tooltip
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-08-29 6:56:51

Op vrijdag 29 augustus 2003 00:49, schreef Troels Tolstrup:
> On Thursday 28 August 2003 20:55, Sander Devrieze wrote:

> > > these are good ideas, but don't forget that the k menu icon also must
> > > looks different to ehnance the concept that behaves in a different way
> > > and its role is central in the kde desktop environment.
> >
> > Maybe showing a bigger and colorized icon the the first time KDE is
> > started until the user clicks on it? (and maybe moving the wheel too)
>
> With other words, make it jump around, waving its arms yelling "me me me,
> pick me, meeeeeeeeeee!!!!"
>
> Am i the only one finding this to be both obnoxious, and not really very
> helpful? I mean, sure, it does attract attention, but it gives no hint as
> to why you would want to click on it, or that you should click on it (maybe
> it just shows that it is working on something?), and to some it does create
> the immediate question as to how you get rid of it.

Yep, the moving wheel idea is maybe not good.

> I appreciate all the creative ideas i have seen, but IMO they are a bit TOO
> creative, when i think a quite low tech solution will do. (passive popup) I
> think adding a ktip is fine too, but my problem with the ktip is that it
> only appears once, and that it is quite intrusive, and my feeling is that a
> lot of users turn it off quite fast.

And too much popups can also be confusing for some users. (even if there's a
don't show this again option)

> Though i do have one problem with the passive popup, and that is that it is
> just a box shape, it has no visual pointer to what activated it (like the
> kopete balloon thingy does), but that can be circumvented by including the
> icon as part of the description. (i generally find the passive popups to be
> visually unappealing, but it is beyond my current X coding skills to do
> anything about that)
>
> Mvh
> Troels
>
> PS: yes, i generally do like low tech solutions, they help create
> consistency, both functionally and visually.

I made the screenshot whit actually existing options in KControl. I think it's
possible to rewrite this code a little bit so that only the K icon is bigger
and colorized the first time you start KDE (also when the mouse pointer isn't
on the icon). When the user clicks x times on the K icon, all this behavior
dissapears.

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.