List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu tooltip
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2003-08-28 22:49:04

On Thursday 28 August 2003 20:55, Sander Devrieze wrote:

> Op donderdag 28 augustus 2003 14:56, schreef Stefano Borini:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:45:05PM +0100, Michael Pye wrote:
> > > An alternative simple idea which assumes that I am right in thinking
> > > that ktip will always run on first log in:
> > >
> > > Make a ktip entry which shows a picture of the kmenu button and says
> > > "Click here to begin" (s/Click here to begin/Something useful/ ! ).
> > > Then force this to be the first tip shown.
> >
> > these are good ideas, but don't forget that the k menu icon also must
> > looks different to ehnance the concept that behaves in a different way
> > and its role is central in the kde desktop environment.
>
> Maybe showing a bigger and colorized icon the the first time KDE is
> started until the user clicks on it? (and maybe moving the wheel too)

With other words, make it jump around, waving its arms yelling "me me me,
pick me, meeeeeeeeeee!!!!"

Am i the only one finding this to be both obnoxious, and not really very
helpful? I mean, sure, it does attract attention, but it gives no hint as
to why you would want to click on it, or that you should click on it (maybe
it just shows that it is working on something?), and to some it does create
the immediate question as to how you get rid of it.

I appreciate all the creative ideas i have seen, but IMO they are a bit TOO
creative, when i think a quite low tech solution will do. (passive popup) I
think adding a ktip is fine too, but my problem with the ktip is that it
only appears once, and that it is quite intrusive, and my feeling is that a
lot of users turn it off quite fast.

Though i do have one problem with the passive popup, and that is that it is
just a box shape, it has no visual pointer to what activated it (like the
kopete balloon thingy does), but that can be circumvented by including the
icon as part of the description. (i generally find the passive popups to be
visually unappealing, but it is beyond my current X coding skills to do
anything about that)

Mvh
Troels

PS: yes, i generally do like low tech solutions, they help create
consistency, both functionally and visually.