List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K icon
From:       Stefano Borini <munehiro () ferrara ! linux ! it>
Date:       2003-08-25 20:00:23

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 03:44:24PM +0200, Gérard Delafond wrote:
> Just an idea :
> A simple applet beside the K menu, with an arrow
>
> K <-Click here to make any action
>
> When people are tired with it, they can remove it like any other applet.

too much windows-like, and IMHO it doesn't solve formally the problem.
Why? because i think users doesnt' need someone to tell them what to do,
they should simply called by it. I think it's better in usability a panic
exit device than a simple handle with "press me" wrote over it.

The rationale in here is simple: catch the user attention without too
much hassle, since this widget is always visible, and it _must_
harmonize with the surrounding environment. This could be done with

1) different aspect or colour (like XP)
2) animated phrases (your idea)
3) animated icon (only once, since having a constant animated icon is a
   pain both for eyes and for cpu)
4) brand power (like macosx face does, and also ms flag)
5) textual hint (your idea and windoze)

I think the first point is the target, since kde doesn't have a powerful
brand posed in users' head yet. Animation could also work, but the real
risk is to disturb the user's eyes, so they must be limited only at
login time, no more.
The sun/gnome idea is clear and simple, but maybe there's a better
solution not yet found.