List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenuEdit vs. direct manipulation [was: Re: RMB - once again]
From:       Trian Karayiannis <tak2 () kent ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-08-25 16:18:48

On Monday 25 August 2003 4:43 pm, Christoph Niemann wrote:
> On Saturday 16 August 2003 18:48, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> > >
> > > Then why not ask if they want to move the menu item? This would
> > > allow "inline" menu rearranging, without making you rearrange
> > > things by accident.
> >
> > Some update to my statement: a popup which asks if you want to
> > activate the direct menu editor or if you want to use KMenuEdit (with
> > don't show this again option). Default option=KMenuEdit.
> >
> > > (i personally have hated the menu editor from the first time i saw
> > > it, and i still find it silly that you actually need to launch a
> > > program to rearrange the menu)
> >
> > 1) I'm talking about *all* menus.
> > 2) I agree that KMenuEdit needs some usability changes and it should
> > be possible to change also other menus than the K-menu.
> > 3) I personally hated the direct menu editor from MS Windows...
>
> Sorry for my late reply. I think there was a missunderstanding here: I
> was never talking about *all menus* but only about the KMenu. I do not
> want RMB menus or something like that to be rearrangable inline...
>
> Greetings,
> Christoph

May I add: is there some hard-coded basic layout for the kmenu?
What I mean:

I wanted to un-clutter the K-Menu. There was 'applications', then 'editors',
games etc. which was just not being used (*).

So I tried to move everything, except for [Multimedia, Internet, Utilities,
Settings, System] under the applications folder. For one, in KMenuEditor I
still get these folders when I try to edit something.

Recently I upgraded to KDE 3.1.3, and now I get the Editors and Graphics
menus, although I have explicitly removed these folders both from my
~/.kde/.... directory and from the global one.

I'm sorry if this is something that has been/is being dealt with or pointed
out. When I get some free time(**), I'll be able to keep better track of
things and hopefully start contributing. :-)

regards,

Trian

(*) If I want to launch Kate, I don't go to KMenu --> Editors --> Kate. I just
click the file in konqueror and off goes Kate.
(**) submitting MSc thesis next Monday. @8-(