List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Annoying blinkie things in menus
From:       john henning <johnlhenning () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-08-24 22:33:43

> Do you experience this flicker only with KDE
> applications or also with
> other programs like Mozilla?

As an ignorant new user I don't know how to tell a
KDE application from non-KDE.  But anyway, the
following apps do NOT have this annoying menu
flicker:
   Mozilla 1.2.1
   Freecell 2.2.0
   File Roller 2.2.1
   Gnibbles 2.2.0

and these apps DO have it:
   Konsole 1.2.1 (Using KDE 3.1.1)
   Konqueror 3.1.1 (Using KDE 3.1.1)
   Kpaint (no version info found)
   KPoker 0.7 (Using KDE 3.1.1)
   KAsteroids 2.2 (Using KDE 3.1.1)
   KMines 2.1.7c (17 January 2003) (Using KDE 3.1.1)

Hmmm, guess there's a pattern here.

> And how about non-KDE Qt applications (an
> example is the Qt Designer, which can be found
> under the Development menu)?

I don't know what Qt is, and unfortunately my
menu has only one choice under Development:
   GUI
which has only one choice
   Glade Interface Designer 1.1.2
and it does not have the flicker.

> And what happens if you change widget style
> (control center>appearance & themes>style)?

Well, I _did_ troll around in that area
before asking this mailing list; but you
have encouraged me to look further.

The following styles produce annoying blink
in the Konqueror and Konsole menus:
   Keramik
   KDE default
   B3/KDE
   System++
   RISC OS

These settings remove the annoying blink!
   High Performance Liquid
   Qt CDE
   Qt Motif Plus
   Qt Windows
   .NET style

Thank you very kindly!
    -john

PS Should anything be done to encourage whoever
   perpetrated this GUI annoyance to stop doing
   it?

PPS Trying to get all the info into one spot
    for the benefit of anyone who tries to
    google this topic later:

Annoying menu flash / flicker / blink SuSE Linux 8.2
SOLUTION: