List:       kde-usability
Subject:    K Menu Categories
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-22 21:02:04

Hello list,

Sorry for jumping from topic to topic, but I've come across something
bothering when doing descriptions for the k menu: the categories.

The current categories found in KDE have some oddities which I've marked
below.

Applications [1]
Development
Editors [2]
Edutainment
Games
Graphics
Internet
Multimedia
Office [3]
PIM [4]
Settings [5]
System
Toys
Utilities

1. Applications is home to various completely non-related applications,
all of which have no trouble fitting in existing categories.
2. This category contains only text editors, all of which fall in the
'Utilities' category. Note that the Editors category only has 3
applications.
3. Office holds all KOffice applications. By changing the name to
Productivity we could group applications that currently do not strictly
belong to the Office category, but are related in that they're often use
for some form of personal administration (vs. company administration).
4. PIM is a category that sprung to life because of the kolab client
efforts. All it's applications could easily be placed in Office (or
Productivity).
5. Settings contains either utilities or kcontrol/kcontrol related
applications. Having a settings category makes it easy for doing
computer support, but also aids the user by being able to open the
relevant 'application' from the K Menu instead of having to start a
separate application first.

If we remove the oddities we're left with:

Development
Edutainment
Games
Graphics
Internet
Multimedia
Productivity
Preferences*
System
Toys
Utilities

* This will not be an application category, but rather an item under
'Other Actions'.

Which is remarkably similar to GNOME:

Development Tools
Games