List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K Menu: Name (Description) -> Description (Name)
From:       Stian =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8iland?= <stian () soiland ! no>
Date:       2003-08-21 3:51:40

On 2003-08-21 01:12:11, Sander Devrieze wrote:

> There are keyboards, washing machines,... with names because this is good for
> marketing. Other example: it's bad, but it's true: people never say they
> start their word processing application; they say they start "word" (even if
> it's in fact e.g. OpenOffice.Org!!).

On the funny side, our support departement recently received a message
from a person who wanted to restore her "world documents" from backup =)

We need to fight this naming schema. Programs should be talked about by
their function, not their given name. I could easily imagine a
conversation between a KDE user and a Windows user, where the Windows
user would ask "Do you have Word in KDE?" and not understand the answer.
He doesn't want to use Openoffice (which he doesn't know what is, he
could imagine something new weird he needs to learn) - he wants to use
Word! (ie. a word processor)

If the KDE user would say he had a word processor, not "Openoffice.org",
the Windows user might (..) recognize what he's talking about.

And that's why the K-menu should 'talk' about media player and browser
instead of 'noatun' and 'konqueror'.

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.