List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kmenu: Description (Name)
From:       Rand2342 <rand2342 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-08-20 22:26:55

--- William Leese <yatsu@wanadoo.nl> wrote:
>     if (c.readBoolEntry("DetailedMenuEntries", true))
>     {
>         if (c.readBoolEntry("DetailedEntriesNamesFirst", true))
>         {
>             m_formatNameDesc->setChecked(true);
>         }
>         else
>         {
>             m_formDescName->setChecked(true);
>         }
>     }
>     else
>     {
>         m_formatSimple->setChecked(true);
>     }
>
> Doesn't this mean we're doing 'Description (Name)' in kmenu by
> default?
> Let it be so :)

It means DetailedMenuEntries ("Show program descriptions") and the
DetailedEntriesNamesFirst ("name (desc)" instead of "desc (name)") are
on by default. This means that KDE uses "Name (description)" by
default.

But before changing this default, the descriptions should be cleaned
up. Some applications have the same description (kdegames, editors,
kview and kuickshow) or non-descriptive descriptions (kaboodle is a
"media player", noatun a "multimedia player" (and xine too).
And most KDE apps not belonging to the basic kde packages (quanta plus,
kdevelop, kwintv, k3b, kopete, apollon) do not have a description.