List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K Menu: Name (Description) -> Description (Name)
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-20 20:54:15

Gérard Delafond wrote:

>Le Mercredi 20 Août 2003 21:28, Henrique Pinto a écrit :
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>On Wednesday 20 August 2003 15:51, William Leese wrote:
>>

>>>Hello list,
>>>
>>>After some discussion on the kde-usability mailinglist about the default
>>>K Menu naming scheme the general consensus was that using '"Description
>>>(Name)" is prefered over "Name (Description)". Recognising the function
>>>of an application based on it's name is a very daunting task for new
>>>users and even existing users because of the large amount of similar
>>>applications.
>>>

>I think it is very important users know the name of the application they use.
>But giving only the name is not enough for beginners, as they need to know
>what this funny names program is made for.
>So, the only choices are "name (description)" or "description(name)"
>It is not very important, but I still prefer the first one.
>-people like naming things by their technical name (I drive my Porsche, not my
>car)

Isn't this simply out of pride? OTOH people are completely indifferent
to the brand name of their microwave, refridgurator (sp?), washing
machine, keyboad, tv, stereo, dvd player, etc, etc, etc..

>-you play "ktuberling", not "a game for kids"

As mentioned the descriptions need to be improved on. I'll be looking at
this.

>-"word processor" does not really describe what is KWord, and what differences
>there are with OOo or Abiword

There isn't! Imagine the confusion for the user! (ok, they're
technically all different and they have different advanced features).

- wvl