List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-08-19 23:56:30

More.

>Noooo, don't do that. It already annoys me to hell that doubleclicks on
>toolbar buttons are silently discarded. So I can never go back two pages in
>konqueror fast (without leaving the mouse and using the keycombo instead).

Wait.  The double-click detection and discard should ONLY work in icons,
not in buttons!  It's reasonable usage to rapidly click a button twice!
But it makes no sense on icons.

>Kicker buttons do *not* swallow the second click, and I hope it stays that
>way, because I sometimes start more than one instance of an app (say, two
>konqueror browsers).

Me too.

>In a single click environment, there is simply no notion of a double click, so
>two clicks within a short period of time should be interpreted as exactly
>that: two clicks within a short period of time which carry out the action
>*twice*.
>
>I can only state this: Do not try to make the system act "smart" by
>sacrifizing consistency. That's what we know and hate from Wind*ws.

I digress in that people get really really frustrated when they open
OpenOffice twice (slow!) in a row and don't understand what they're
doing wrong.  But a balloon help in the systray telling the user to stop
that would be a way to eliminate double-click detection.