List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2003-08-19 10:04:47

Am Dienstag, 19. August 2003 11:42 schrieb Michael Pye:
> On Monday 18 August 2003 7:53 pm, William Leese wrote:
> > I'm not sure that KDE has any objects that need to be doubleclicked by
> > default.
>
> Exactly. Now what is everyone's view on simply discarding "accidental"
> double clicks? I understand that it might be counter productive in that
> users will not learn that their second click is being ignored, but some
> kind of visual hint could be given when a double click was detected...

Noooo, don't do that. It already annoys me to hell that doubleclicks on
toolbar buttons are silently discarded. So I can never go back two pages in
konqueror fast (without leaving the mouse and using the keycombo instead).

Kicker buttons do *not* swallow the second click, and I hope it stays that
way, because I sometimes start more than one instance of an app (say, two
konqueror browsers).

In a single click environment, there is simply no notion of a double click, so
two clicks within a short period of time should be interpreted as exactly
that: two clicks within a short period of time which carry out the action
*twice*.

I can only state this: Do not try to make the system act "smart" by
sacrifizing consistency. That's what we know and hate from Wind*ws.

mfg
	Leo