List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Security and usability
From:       Rand2342 <rand2342 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-08-18 16:21:32

--- Roland Seuhs <roland.seuhs@hasos.com> wrote:
> First, cookie-popups are turned on by default on every default
> KDE-install I know. Second, I don't advocate removing that feature,
> I just say it should be off by default. (Maybe I wasn't clear on
> that)

They shouldn't be turned off, but replaced by more userfriendly warning
messages. What about:
"Privacy Protection:
Some websites collect information about. This information is used
to change the website to use your preferences (language, passwords,
etcetera) the next time you visit it. But this feature is often
abused by advertising agencies to collect information about you and
your web surfing habits.
Do you want Konqueror to allow websites to store information (so-called
"cookies")?
[ ] Yes
[X] Ask confirmation for each cookie (recommended)
[ ] Yes, but delete the information when I close Konqueror
[ ] No"

When the user chooses "No", a warning messagebox shows up:
"A lot of websites (including webmail and subscription-based services)
won't work if you do not allow cookies! Are you sure you want to
continue?"