List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: FIXED: Secure Screen Locking
From:       Havoc Pennington <hp () redhat ! com>
Date:       2003-08-16 17:02:29

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 06:57:57PM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Havoc wants to create some sort of hardware abstraction layer using DBUS to
> communicate changes like that. (From root --> users)
>
> Havoc, do you happen to have a URL about that somewhere?

Yes, my idea for the HAL is described at
http://ometer.com/hardware.html
The HAL is broader in scope than just the notification though.

The general notification problem from system daemon to logged-in user
session is exactly what the D-BUS systemwide message bus is intended
to solve. Anyone going to Nove Hrady may want to check out my D-BUS
talk for more details, there's a ton of info at
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ as well.

Havoc