List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KDE3 defaults
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-16 15:21:19

Hello list,

While this may be specific to my setup (Debian with KDE cvs snapshot
packages), there are many settings that have poor defaults. Below is a
list of small, mostly cosmetical changes I propose to make. If you don't
get one of these settings by default then let me know.

- kicker: remove KWrite from kicker
KWrite will rarely be used, except in minimum setups. So it doesn't
deserve an icon on the panel.

- konqueror (web browser): turn off cookie alert
Might be controversal. But by having this on we're expecting the user to
know about cookies, which is unreasonable.

- konqueror ('Home'): turn off underline filenames
Cosmetical. Removes some visual clutter. You could argue the underlining
makes it obvious that a single click is needed. However, KDE provides
sufficient feedback when clicking an icon.

- konqueror ('Home'): set left pane to 'Home Directory' instead of
'Services'
No argumentation needed.

- konqueror ('Trash'): set left pane to 'Home Directory' instead of
'Services'

- Virtual Desktops: set to 2
For the new user 4 is overkill. The user will have to get used to the
concept first before becoming proficient enough to make use of 4 desktops.

- kicker: move Virtual Pager to the right of Taskbar
Raises visibility.

- kmenu: turn off 'Quick Browser' (might want to turn on 'Recent
Documents' if this feature works as expected.. e.g. for ALL documents)
We all agree (?) this is a geeks feature.

- kmenu: change K Menu format to 'Description (Name)'
The names are almost completely meaningless to new users. This improves
the ability to scan descriptions.

- kicker: remove Konsole icon
We're trying to move the user away from the commandline, right? :)

- kicker: add email icon to the right of konqueror icon
Web browser, email and word processing are no doubt part of the top uses
for computers.

- kicker: remove 'Preferences' button and add it to kmenu by default? -
This clashes with the weird 'Settings' category, all of which should
probably be moved to 'Utilities' or 'System'
This is pretty obvious, but requires more than a simple change. Might
want to skip this one for now.

- Change Fonts:
  General, Toolbar, Menu, Taskbar and Desktop 'Luxi Sans 12' to
'Bitstream Vera Sans 10'
  Fixed width 'Luxi Mono 12' to 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 10'
  Window title 'Luxi Sans 12 (Bold)' to 'Bitstream Vera Sans 10'
  Konqueror (file manager): 'Luxi Sans 12' to 'Bitstream Vera Sans 10'

I'm just keeping it to the small things, to avoid long discussion and to
get some basic improvements done.

- wvl