List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenuEdit vs. direct manipulation [was: Re: RMB - once again]
From:       Christoph Niemann <cnieman () suse ! de>
Date:       2003-08-15 14:17:41

On Friday 15 August 2003 10:20, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> Op vrijdag 15 augustus 2003 01:09, schreef Henrique Pinto:
> <snip>
>
> > But, if so, why do you think this shouldn't be allowed on menus?
> > I'm not defending evrything should be doable in the menu. If you
> > want to to change a command line, you open KMenuEdit. But if what
> > you want is just to move one entry, it is a bit awkward to have to
> > open an external menu editor...
>
> Something I just readed in the relevantive usability study:
> "Interestingly, the largest differences, in comparison to Windows XP,
> were those applications that are highly integrated in Windows XP.
> [...] It seems that this strong integration is not welcomed by the
> users." (5.3 Easy/Difficulty of the tasks)
>
> IMO this is also relevant to the integration of a menu editor within
> the menu.

I disagree. Actually, in the German version, this passage sounds
somewhat different. It says: The strongest differences have been found
in the highly integrated applications, _because_ users did not expect
this integration. (unofficial translation, maybe some other German
speaking reader can concur).

If it is translated thus, your point is not valid, because users do
expect exactly that integration from the menu. This is evidenced in the
study. Users were asked to place an icon in the quick launcher area.
70% of the participants first tried to drag the icon from the KMenu
(p.65). They succeded because this is possible. So there is even a hint
within KDE that entries are draggable. However, the targets are
arbitrarily restricted, as you cannot drop the entry somewhere else in
the menu.

Greetings,
Christoph