List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Suggested keyboard shortcuts for desktop/window navigation
From:       Christoph Niemann <cnieman () suse ! de>
Date:       2003-08-12 14:20:48

On Saturday 09 August 2003 17:26, Roland Seuhs wrote:

<snip>

> - Switch to Next Desktop: Win+Left
> - Switch to Previous Desktop: Win+Right
> - Walk Through Windows: Win+Down
> - Walk Through Windows (Reverse): Win+Up

<snip>

> - Window Close: Win+Esc
> - Kill Window: Win+Shift+Esc
> - Window Screenshot: Win+Print
> - Window Iconify: Win+PageDown
> - Window Maximize: Win+PageUp

I like your idea very much, too. As you said, using the windows key for
window manipulation seems rather intuitive ;-)

> Especially the Window Close shortcut is very useful and much more
> intuitive than Alt+F4
>
> For consistency I'd like to also suggest:
>
> - Switch to Desktop x: Win+Fx
>
> With these shortcuts you would have all Window-operations under the
> Win-key.

<snip>

> - Cut, Copy, Paste: Win+X, Win+C, Win+V
>
> in addition to the current Ctrl+X,C,V. THESE SHORTCUTS CAN ALSO BE
> USED IN KONSOLE. - Finally copy/paste shortcuts that work everywhere!
> Also, the Mac uses Apple+X,C,V, so the whole idea isn't really that
> far-fetched.

That would be nice: A consistent copy/paste that even works in the
konsole. However, I couldn't get it to work. For some reason the
windows key is not acceptable for "shortcuts for single programs" (the
third tab, "tastenkürzel für einzelprogramme" in German). Is that on
purpose?`

> As a clarification, I don't suggest to replace the old shortcuts
> (they are very important for Windows users, there is no doubt about
> that), but to ADD the shortcuts above. Adding those shortcuts does no
> harm because anybody can change them in case he wants to use them for
> something else.

idd.

Greetings,
Christoph