List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Recents apps in KDE menu confusing for users.
From:       Christoph Niemann <cnieman () suse ! de>
Date:       2003-08-12 10:44:34

On Monday 11 August 2003 19:39, Ralph Gottesbuehren wrote:
> I've made an mockup of my K-Menu (from Mandrake 9.1) with some
> changes, too - mostly for stylish reasons.
>
> As you can see, I have changed the "Recent Apps"-Title to "Quickstart
> Menu" because you can choose the behaviour of this menu between "show
> recent apps" and "show most used apps" in the panel-preferences.
> That would mean, the menu-title had to change dynamicly, depending on
> that preference.
> So IMO "quickstart" is better.
>
> The other changes (inverted and shadowed text, darker background
> behind "quickstart", broader sidebar) are made with gimp,  but also
> possible with some KDE-code that exists already.
>
> Hope somebody likes it.

Though I do like you design aestheticwise, I think it might not be the
best usabilitywise. IMO, using the background of the side image as
background for the MRU part but not for the 'All applications' part
distinguishes too much between them (after all both of them are used to
start programs). Maybe we should just have two identical titles
(stylewise, that is) and a different background in the MRU part.

Greetings,
Christoph