List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KMenuEdit vs. direct manipulation [was: Re: RMB - once again]
From:       Christoph Niemann <cnieman () suse ! de>
Date:       2003-08-12 10:14:31

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 09:03, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> Op dinsdag 12 augustus 2003 02:22, schreef Henrique Pinto:
<snip>
> > > Why?
> > > o People don't use this functionality much.
> >
> > Do you have data to backup this statement?
>
> No, but I see 2 kind of people I know who use MS Windows: some people
> know this functionality and use it. Others don't know it and don't
> use it. The difference between these groups is that the first is much
> smaller and have much more experience with computers than the second.
> Of course this is only with people I know, but I think this will be
> the same if you do some tests with a lot more people.

So, the group using direct manipulation of the KMenu probably likes it
and the other group ignores the feature.

> > > o People will not know that this functionality exists.
> >
> > Most people don't know it is possible to resize a window by holding
> > the ALT key and pressing the right mouse button. Should this
> > functionallity be removed only because of this?
>
> IMO the functionallity you suggests may exists but it should be
> default dissabled because it's more "dangerous" than for example the
> alternative ALT-RMB click way.
>
> > > o People will get disappointed if they click wrong and so change
> > > their menu without knowing why it changed. (They will feel they
> > > have no control and this will results in fear when using KDE.)

On the contrary: If there is sufficient visual feedback, the users will
feel even more in control. Actually, is a user bothers to reorder the
menu, he will expect to be able to manipulate it directly. The reason
is that Windows implemented this feature since Win98 (I believe).

The use of direct manipulation eliminates much the necessary interface
knowledge a user needs to use KMenuEdit. Thus, the user can focus on
task knowledge, the tool (KMenuEdit) disappears and the users feels
like he is in control. The direct manipulation of the menu is therefore
more intuitive.

Still, KMenuEdit might be useful for advanced features (as has already
been noted) but for reordering and similar simple tasks, direct
manipulation should be easier for users.

<snip>

Greetings,
Christoph