List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Recents apps in KDE menu confusing for users.
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2003-08-10 19:40:05

On Sunday 10 August 2003 21:00, William Leese wrote:
> Simon Edwards wrote:
> The names do not matter. Afterall, why would a normal user have to
> browse anything other than their home directory?

errr... because floppys, cdroms, shared drives (think duel boot), and network
drives generally don't appear in thier home directory.

> You'll likely find that
> every reason a user might want to has to do with a faulty configuration,
> something that shouldn't be dealt with by the user anyway..

Well, it is the current state of affairs at the moment with Linux distros.

> in the ideal
> world.

I was refering to this world unfortunately. The one where my GF still has
trouble finding /mnt/data/.

(For some more OT action, read this:
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/51/menu.htm
and think about how it applies to the current KControl and the 'flat' kcontrol
design that was recently discussed here. (Hint:Flat indexes appear to be 30%
faster in this report! ;-) enjoy kids ))

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/