List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-08-08 23:06:24

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:33:38PM +0200, William Leese wrote:
> On Friday 08 August 2003 19:24, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 06:08:24PM +0200, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> > > My thoughts about how it should be:
> > > o clicking on a file opens the file in the default viewer.
> >
> > Don't agree. There should be two actions:
> > Open - for editing file (changing its contents)
> > Preview - only viewing file
> I'm wondering if most users really use preview. In what way does 'Preview'
> differ from opening the file in an application? All it does is open the file
> in a 'lite' application.

It is a difference if you are opening graphic file in built-in viewer or in Gimp
It is a difference if you are opening html file to view it or in Quanta.
It is a difference if you are opening MS-format file in lite viewer or
starting OO to edit it.

> Preview is only wanted if it's inline, right? Ofcourse there are are files you
> want to a) view and b) edit, but in the end it's all the same as 'Open with
> ..'.
> Is it beneficial to have "Open", "Open With.." and "Preview In"? versus the
> more simple "Open" and "Actions"?

And all this operations are justified enough to have separate RMB menu
items.

m.