List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () lagoaminas ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-08-08 23:45:43

On Friday 08 August 2003 03:58, Christoph Niemann wrote:
> I'm not quite sure if I understand your proposal correctly. Do you want
> the "most used application list" (mual) to be static or dynamic?
>
> I strongly oppose it to be dynamic, as we would face the "Oh my menu
> changed w/o telling me, again" problem.

These problems (with dynamic menus) can be reduced if the dynamic entries are
somehow different from the normal, static, ones. Maybe they should have
bigger icons? Any ideas?

Anyway, I don't think it is a good idea to have dynamic menus.

> A static menu, however, would require some sort of user testing to
> determine which applications are considered the most used applications.
> This list might be quite different for different personas, too.

Simple solution:

The menu would contain a default set of applications. They could be removed by
just right-clicking and selecting "Remove from this menu", or "Detach", or
something else.

For adding an application, you would just right-click its entry in the menu
and select "Add to top-level menu", or "Fix in the menu", or anything else...

--
	Henrique Pinto
	stampede@coltec.ufmg.br