List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-08-08 20:56:51

Op vrijdag 08 augustus 2003 19:24, schreef Mikolaj Machowski:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 06:08:24PM +0200, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> > My thoughts about how it should be:
> > o clicking on a file opens the file in the default viewer.
>
> Don't agree. There should be two actions:
> Open - for editing file (changing its contents)

I don't think that people expect that an application to edit their MP3 will be
started if they click on it...

> Preview - only viewing file

So:
o LMB click should be to open the file in the default application. In most
(all?) of the cases this will be some preview application.

o Open With submenu should be for all other applications. If people start a
lot times the same app in this submenu, a pop-up should ask to make from this
app the default application (also manually configurable of course). Not more,
not less IMO.

> In setting user could choose which option is default for LMB (default:
> Preview)

Sometimes: depends on file type.

<snip>

> > o Gimp and other apps should be under "Open with" (which has also a
> > "Others..." entry) Some idea: we can make from this list (also for other
> > files) a "most used applications list" with the most used app on the
> > place with the fastest access (next to "Open with"). Limit this to x
> > applications and the "Others..." option. When this list is first used
> > some standard applications are showed (we have to do then tests for which
> > apps are the most popular for which file types!)
>
> Why? In 90% of filetypes there is no more than 5 apps to use. Even with
> text/* apps this list shouldn't be very long.

Just because of this 90% :) It's to prevent listing of all applications the
user has tried to open such files with: if someone tries to open for example
an MP3 with kate this will leave in the list if we don't introduce limits for
the maximum number of entries.

> In this list should be all
> apps registered in: "Edit file type" dialog. The only problem can be how
> recognize non-kde apps as suitable for editing current filetype.

Because the user selects it from the "Open with... pop-up" :-) Or do you mean
the default applications first time you use it?

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.