List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2003-08-07 6:49:25

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 16:33, Roger Larsson wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2003 16.05, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > Waldo, why didn't put it into "Properties"?
> >
> > It could be there as well in addition to having it in the "Open With..."
> > dialog.
>
> Properties:
>
> Merging the tabs could lead to confusion

I would just have a button "Edit File Type..." to the right of the "Type:"
line on the first tab. This button would then launch the
"KControl->Component->File Associations" window/tab thingy with the relevant
file type selected.

(Another small problem I have with the File Type dialog. When you launch it
you get tiny dialog box that only edits the current File Type. Why don't we
launch the real File Associations editor? Having two different looking progs
for what ends up being the same setting is kind of redundant, but the real
problem is that it's not entirely clear that it's really just the same thing
and not just one thing using two different 'configurations'. Am I making
sense? Personally, if I had it my way, KControl modules would never be
lanuched without the full Control Center, just as a way to reduce the GUI
"surface area" and to remove any confusion that these separate dialogboxes
really are just parts of the Control Center...)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/