List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-08-06 11:32:12

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 04:31:07PM +0200, Daniele Medri wrote:

> > > why don't put a "Propriety" item that include "Set encoding" features and
> > > "Security"?
> >
> > Why "Set encoding" for image???? Maybe it will be useful with SVG files
> > but for most formats it is useless. I am also not sure if Security is
> > necessary. Half ot this menu (in current state) is just copied from
> > http context menu.

First of all I should say: IMO there is one thing worse than 20 items
long RMB - this thing are submenus in RMB. I agree are situations where
it is not possible to evade them but it should be the last resort.

> the item "Propriety" could be the same for all kind of file.. and inside this
> could appear particular tab like "Security", "Set encoding".

Even using submenus there is no need to put there items which are
useless in given context.

> I totally disagree about the "Open"/"Preview" items.
> If a click on a file and is there an embedded viewer.. I can see this with
> konqy. If not, open with default app without RMB interaction.
> Into RMB we need only "Open" and default apps do the rest.
> Open to edit and preview are blury terms.. and a user need a simple "open"
> call for what he want. Nothing more...

But this is for clicking. RMB extends possibilities of simple click (or
two-click). Probably I am not a simple user but I think RMB is ideal to
handle not-very-typical situation. In very-typical situation user makes
click and Konq performs default action depending on settings. But RMB is
for not-very-typical situations. And RMB should offer alternatives
actions to default without entering Settings.

m.