List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-08-06 11:15:30

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 03:02:27PM +0200, Kai Lahmann wrote:
> Am Tuesday 05 August 2003 11:19 schrieb Mikolaj Machowski:
> > Open in New Window
> > Open in New Tab
> just "open elsewhere" (need better text), which is configure as being tab or
> window.

I am afraid there is not infrastructure in KDE to handle that. Sorry,
there is. But this is for just clicking. RMB should offer slightly more.
If you prefer eg to open everything in New Tab (and has such settings in
Konq) OK. But what if some day you want to open in new Window? With
"open elsewhere" you have to go to Konq preferences, change settings,
open thing, return to preferences and switch to your previous setup.

In this case (and few others) nice solution would be something like:
menu combo item (as combo-button) - when you press it for longer period
or move mouse when pressing submenu opens, when press and release
quickly default action is taken. And it would be easier to use than
combo-buttons because in menu items you have more space to move :)

> with option what to do and real delet und shift+click.

Agree.

> > Up
> > Back
> do we really need all that on RMB?

All? Maybe not: Up and Back are a must. Forward... Can be useful.

> > Open With >                 " [1]
> > Preview With >              " [2]
> > 1 - No submenu - Open with this what is defined in MIME type center
> > 2 - Preview in embedded viewer
> there should be on top of the menu:
> view with <default viewer> (viewer in current window)
> Open with <default app>
> open with alternate app > (which lists _all_ viewers AND editors in
> alpabetical order.)
> open elsewhere (should be hidden, if no viewer is defined, as does "view")
> Having the abbility to define more than one app for a file type is one point
> in KDE, many people love.

And here combo-menu would be ideal solution. Look, you produced 4 items
for 2 actions where 90% of people are satisfied with default apps.
Yes, now I agree that "Open with >" should stay. Now we have in this
section:

Open
Preview
Open with >