List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-08-05 14:25:10

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:44:27PM +0200, Daniele Medri wrote:
> Alle 11:19, marted? 5 agosto 2003, Mikolaj Machowski ha scritto:
> > 4. Image file in directory view
> >
> > Open in New Window          " OK
> > Open in Background Tab      " These two can be reduced to one
> > Open in New Tab
> > Cut                         " OK
> > Copy                        "
> > Rename                      " OK
> > Move To Trash               " These two should be reduced to one
> > Delete                      "
> > Add to Bookmarks            " OK
> > Open With ...               " [1]
> > Gimp                        " [2]
> > Preview in Embeddable Image Viewer " [3]
> > Actions >                   " OK
> > Edit file type              " Go away!
> > Properties                  " OK
> >
> > 1 - Why? It is already defined in next item.
> > 2 - Shouldn't it be just "Open"? Now we can reduce these two items to
> > 	one
> > 3 - OK but name is tooooooooooo long. Preview is enough.
> >
> > Now we have:
> >
> > Open in New Window
> > Open in New Tab
> > Cut
> > Copy
> > Rename
> > Add to Bookmarks
> > Open
> > Preview in This Tab
> > Actions >
> > Properties
> IMHO the "Open" and "Preview in This Tab" aren't correct.
> I'd like to see only "Preview" item as "Open" functionality.. and into
> "Proprieties" a user can set what defaults viewer for that kind of file type.
> A common user couldn't know what the difference between "Open" and "Preview":
> he need to view that kind of file and an intelligent system should select
> appropriated apps fot that. If I open an image into Gimp is "preview" but
> also "open to edit".
> The "Preview in This Tab" could be into "Actions" submenu as particular option

I saw redundancy after sending. I am in favor of separate actions (in
main menu) "Open to edit" and "Open to see" - Preview. The latter would
be basically opening in Konqueror:

Edit <- for all types of files, executables could have Execute (or Open :/)
Preview
Preview in New Window
Preview in New Tab
Cut
Copy
Rename
Add to Bookmarks
Actions >
Properties

I think there will be obvious difference between Edit and Preview:
Preview in embedded viewer or "light" program without possibility of
changing file. Edit is for making changes in file.

This can apply also to non-image files.

> > 5. Image in embedded viewer
> > ack
> >
> > Up                          " OK
> > Back
> > Open in New Window          " It is already opened in Konq
> > Open in Background Tab      "
> > Open in New Tab
> > Add to Bookmarks            " OK
> > Open With ...               " As above
> > Gimp                        "
> > Save Image As...            " OK
> > Send                        " OK?
> > Select All                  " ??????? [0]
> > Stop Animations             " OK
> > Copy Image Location         " ??? [1]
> > View Image (title.png)      " ??? [2]
> > View Document Source        " Heh... [3]
> > View Document Information   " that would be good but... [4]
> > Security                    " OK?
> > Set Encoding                " End everything is clear.
> >
> > Many items in this menu is coming from opening of web sites. It should
> > be make different if opening from file:// or from http://
> >
> > 0 - for what? Unnecessary
> > 1 - Where copying? not understandable - unnecessary
> > 2 - We are already viewing it
> > 3 - Source for Image?
> > 4 - This would be good but dialog offers no valuable information. Please
> > 	improve dialog: size, any embedded information, add possibility to
> > 	meta info.
> >
> > Now we have:
> >
> > Up                          " OK
> > Back
> > Add to Bookmarks            " OK
> > Open
> > Save Image As...            " OK
> > Send                        " OK?
> > Stop Animations             " OK
> > View Document Information   " that would be good but... [4]
> > Security                    " OK?
> why don't put a "Propriety" item that include "Set encoding" features and
> "Security"?

Why "Set encoding" for image???? Maybe it will be useful with SVG files
but for most formats it is useless. I am also not sure if Security is
necessary. Half ot this menu (in current state) is just copied from
http context menu.

m.