List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror delete unification
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () coltec ! ufmg ! br>
Date:       2003-07-16 18:12:03

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 08:19, Eron Lloyd wrote:
> Hmm...well, my take on it is this:
> 1. Mozilla is the actual competitor in our "market" (haven't seen IE run in
> UNIX/Linux yet)
> 2. You can't take market-share from IE without replacing the full desktop
> *and* OS, too ;-)
> 3. Following IE's model lead to confusion and menu bloat in the first place
> (see the Encoding entry in IE)

Do we really need to talk about competition? Shoudn't our focus be creating
really good software instead of trying to take "market-share" of others? If
we have the best software, won't we naturally take this "market-share"?

> > > 1. The navigation elements are by far the most used, thus should be
> > > preserved
> >
> > Evidence!
>
> I don't think either of us have empirical data to support our ideas ;-)
> However, if you look at any browser's RMB you will see at least Back,
> Forward, and Reload on the top. Up is quite handy for me, but I'm willing
> to compromise. Stop may be unnecessary, also.

Does anyone have data to support this? I have been observing 3 "normal"
computer users (people who don't know lots about computers), and found out
that they _never_ use this entries of the RMB menu, prefering the toolbar, or
the keyboard shortcut when they remember it.

> > > 2. Tab elements are a power user feature and should not exist in the
> > > RMB

The same users I've been observing use these most of time. It's definetely not
a "power user" feature.

> > > 3. The others aren't really relevant to the average page (except for
> > > maybe Select All). The animation stop item doesn't need such prominence
> > > (as few pages use them)
> >
> > I think animation stop should be only when you click on an animated gif.
>
> And just that one GIF, not the whole page of dancing bears which is
> flooding your CPU? :-)

Maybe only when there are animations, instead of all the time?

> > > 4. Security info should always be available in the status bar
> > > 5. Encoding? Most people have no clue what that means.
> >
> > Agreed.

Everyone seems to agree on this. Can someone please remove it?
(If we don't start removing unnecessary items now, we'll end up in an endless
discussion with no real result.)

> 2. The still-missing global desktop "trashcan" problem (which might be more
> of an OS/filesystem issue than anything)

I think no one believes that the current way this is implemented is the right
one (I'm not talking about putting or not a "move to trash" option in the RMB
menu). I don't see any better options than the trash:// ioslave. Anyone got a
better idea?

--
	Henrique Pinto
	stampede@coltec.ufmg.br