List:       kde-usability
Subject:    more drag widgets
From:       Gav Wood <gav () kde ! org> (by way of Gav Wood <gav () kde ! org>)
Date:       2003-05-08 10:55:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

hi all,

i think it is fair to say that currently most kwin window decoration themes
 do not seem to allow much room to resize the window (from the standard
 bottom right position).

Usually there is only 2-3 pixels gap where the window may be dragged - if we
compare this to other guis we see that generally this problem is tackled by a
drag widget in the bottom right corner of the window (cite: windows, macos,
intuition (amiga os gui)).

while some kwin themes allow an extra window-manager drawn drag box, this
often looks out of place, obscuring some other widget in the window (often
the right side of the status bar) or being completely useless (in the case of
a fixed size dialog). therefore i do not think that this is the answer.

obviously, too, there is the keyboard shortcut alt + rmb drag, but some users
(e.g. graphic designers) rarely have to touch the keyboard, and in making
them do so may unnecessarily interrupt their workflow.

it would appear to me that the clear solution is to get all kde apps that
 have resizeable windows to put drag boxes in the bottom corner. a new rule
 in the style guide?

gav