List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kppp
From:       Georg Kretzschmar <georg.kretzschmar () epost ! de>
Date:       2003-05-07 13:38:15

> I think a system tray icon is better. Basically, I see the following
> scenario of usage of kppp:
>
> - you are used to it, it works. So you just want to connect and disconnect.
> In that case, a window is annoying, you just want a system tray.
>
> - this is the first time you use it, so you must set-up preferences
> (login/password). Then you want to follow what is going on to see if it is
> working. So you appreciate a window. If everything works fine, you then
> want it minimised because you have had all the information you need.
>
> - something is not working fine. Then you want to see the detail window.

There is sometimes a fourth scenario that is when you use several providers
depending on who is the cheapest at a given time. This possibility is an
advantage of kppp at least in comparison to SuSEs kinternet which has a
system tray icon by the way. It should somehow be incorporated into an system
tray icon. So may suggestion for the rmb-menu is:

if there is only one provider:
 . connect (when disconnected, nothing if connected)
 . disconnect (when connected, nothing if disconnected)
 . show window

for several providers:
 . connect (when disconnected, nothing if connected)	as a submenu:
 			-provider 1
			-provider 2
 . disconnect (when connected, nothing if disconnected)
 . show window

or
. connect (when disconnected, nothing if connected) provider 1
. connect (when disconnected, nothing if connected) provider 2
. disconnect (when connected, nothing if disconnected)
. show window

The other thing I like about kinternet is that the icon changes depending on
whether there is an established connection or not or if the connection is
just getting established.

> So I think the good way to manage this is:
>
> - when kppp is launched from the menu, show it as a dialog where one can
> set up its prefreences
>
> - when the connection is established minimize it. Maybe a checkbox
> "minimise once connected" could be useful but I am not convinced.
>
> - when kppp is restarted by the session, have it simply in the system tray.

That sounds good to me.

Regards Georg