List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Theme Manager and Pixmap Styles.
From:       Alessandro Rossini <aronnax () tortoreto ! it>
Date:       2003-04-27 14:05:56

> The current theme manager already supports styles and window decorations
> somewhat, that is, the theme can specify a certain style or window
> decoration. Unfortunately it isn't possible to _include_ a specific style
> or window decoration, since that would mean including compiled code.

Ok, but you're considering only engine styles like keramik, mofet's liquid or
qnx for example.

> I'm not sure if there is a good pixmapped based widget style available at
> the moment. If there is it would make sense to add support for it in the
> theme manager.

Surely most people uses engine styles, because they're more performant and
because they support transparent menus..., but for example my pixmap based
widget style Acqua and Luna or the kde3 XP style of 'speleolalex' are still
in the first places of kde-look.org (look at KDE 3.0 Styles -> most
downloads).
For these styles I had to do an install script because people really don't
know what to do with the files...
I'd like to port my Acqua in an engine style, but I've no time to do it :( At
the same time I don't think that pixmap widget style is already dead.
IMHO it's the only way to make people write styles without any knowledge of
programming. A possible solution could be for example a sort of new skel.
engine (keramik could be a good start point) where people only changes
pixmaps to make a new syle.
--
class Signature {
    char e_mail[21];