List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Parallel versions of KDE
From:       Alistair Davidson <lord_inh () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-04-18 15:13:53

Eric Ellsworth wrote:
>>>I'm sure by now everyone here has read Mosfet's and Havoc's three
>
> articles (
> http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4505 ,
> http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html ,
> http://www.mosfet.org/free-software-rebuttal.html ), and I wanted to bring
> in a third perspective on the entire issue.
>
>>>I feel that both camps are right, and that both camps should be
>
> satisfied.  It isn't fair to the average home user to
>
>>clutter their desktop with a whole bunch of options they don't understand
>
> and are likely to never use, but it's also
>
>>not fair to take those capabilities away from the more advanced user, or
>
> make their life more difficult by making
>
>>them edit obscure config files.
>

> I actually think this is the very area where this list has had the most
> impact.  There have been quite a few KControl modules reorganized, not to
> mention the general reorganizing of the tree, which while not perfect was a
> huge improvement.  In all of this we've taken the approach of retaining
> almost all the options that were there but putting them behind various
> advanced buttons.  I think this is a great tack - it keeps the advanced
> options out of the way when not needed, leaves em there for those who want
> to dig, and keeps all of the options for a subject together.  Perhaps the
> best work we can do will be to continue approach for more modules and more
> parts of KDE.

I think at the very least this is an imortant first step before we think
about removing anything. We need to have a clearer idea of what we can
acheive with reorganisation before removing too many options- of course
it has been sensibly suggested that options we remove could be placed in
a "TweakKDE" type of application.