List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Docking toolbars to the MacOS style menubar?
From:       Keunwoo Lee <klee () cs ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2003-04-16 22:48:31

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Michael Pye wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 Apr 2003 7:49 pm, William Leese wrote:
>
> > I really think this is something that should be default because the initial
> > loss is small compared to the gain. If someone feels responsible for KDE's
> > usability then please comment. Can we get some kind of decision on this?
>
> To have mac style menu bar and also screen edged toolbars by default? No, I
> wouldn't.
>
> Mainly because I find toolbars are quicker to access when they are closer.

I wonder if you've timed yourself doing this, or you just feel that it's
quicker to access when it's closer?  User reports of what they think is
faster are often wrong.  The old Mac usability people did quantitative
testing.  They found the inverse: menubars and tool bars are both faster
to access when they're on the screen edge.

~k