List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Docking toolbars to the MacOS style menubar?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2003-04-16 15:57:22

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 01:34, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > Q: When using non-KDE applications, what does the GM do?
> > A: shows a blank area (background shows through)
>
>  Huh? It shows kdesktop's menubar (and will show empty menubar, i.e. gray
> area, in HEAD soon).

yes, i figured the background showing through was a temporary bug, but it
still goes to show that it isn't consistent. menubars will sometimes be at
the top, and sometimes not, depending on the app in question.

>  Not that I actually use it, but it seems to work fine here. The menu is
> above kicker, and kicker shows and hides normally. What's exactly your
> problem with it?

with a large hiding panel it hides under the menu bar (which looks ugly when
there is no menubar, which will be fixed when it shows as a grey area in
those cases), but to unhide it i need to put my mouse at the top of the
screen and then move it down into the panel area. this movement is neither
smooth nor easy. as i said, this is not a default configuration, but simply
highlights that there are challenges to it. it does look very nice with a
non-hiding tiny panel directly below it with a task bar and pager in it
though...

> > Q: How useful is the GM outside of just being a place for the menu bar?
> > A: not very
>
>  Not surprising, given that GM's only purpose is to be a menubar. Would you
> like it also to make you some coffee ;) ?

damn skippy, i would! ;-) but seriously, with it using that amount of space it
would be VERY nice to be able to put other items there. i know for a fact
users will begin asking for exactly that if we turn it on by default (witness
the evolution of the menubar in Classic MacOS). and we can achieve that for
free if it is a kicker applet.

> > so i'd suggest that this part of KDE would need work to be more kicker
> > friendly and more useful before being made a default. someone has written
> > a kicker plugin that provides a GM within a kicker panel. i was sceptical
> > at first, but after seeing it in action i think it's a good alternative
> > that addresses most, though not all, of the above (i don't have it
> > anymore.. need to find it again.. *sigh*)
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=104991415616591&w=2

thanks =)

- --
Aaron J. Seigo