List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: 4 mouse-button support
From:       Steve Dunham <dunham () cse ! msu ! edu>
Date:       2003-03-21 21:08:13

On Sunday 16 March 2003 12:49, William Leese wrote:

> I honestly don't see many mice with more than 3 buttons, let alone people
> who actually use the third for anything other than scrolling.

I constantly use the middle button for X copy/paste.  (And occasionally for
xfig, but xfig is atypical software.)  However, I don't feel a pressing need
for 4 buttons.

> IMO adding even more buttons to a mouse is clearly the wrong direction to
> take if you're looking to interface more efficiently with a computer. Think
> about all continueous strain that goes into using 5 buttons with one hand
> for even relatively short periods of time.
>
> Personally I prefer using the keyboard more extensively than a mouse
> because you have 102+ keys to your disposal using two hands. Add a
> touchscreen and a scrollbutton on the keyboard and I'd have no reason to
> use a mouse whatsoever.

Touchscreens have their own problems (fingerprints and "gorilla arm"), and
I still can't effectively control those scrollbuttons. Maybe I'm just getting
old. :)

But I do favor the keyboard whenever possible.  (Not interwindow copy/paste
because I already have my hand on the mouse to do the copy.)

Steve Dunham
dunham@cse.msu.edu