List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: GUI design of search windows
From:       Steve Dunham <dunham () cse ! msu ! edu>
Date:       2003-03-21 20:56:59

On Sunday 16 March 2003 06:19, James wrote:

> I know outlook's search pane works something like this, but I don't know if
> it has saved search folders.  What does the usability list think about this
> idea?

I like both outlook's implementation (IIRC: pressing search toolbar button
adds search box above message list) and mozilla's (a text box always at the
top of the message list that will filter the list if you fill it in).

I find it handy when cleaning out my mailboxes or looking for a certain mail
item to be able to put a query in the box and have the list filtered.  I don't
think I'd ever use "saved searches", though.

I've also used similar functionality (temporarily filter message list) in
Gnus and mutt, so I suspect many people find it useful.

This is important in knode too, as I've only used it to search for help on
GMane.  The dialog in knode does what I want functionally, but it'd be
nice to have it in the main window. (And I spent 10 minutes looking for
that dialog in kmail, before realizing I had seen it in knode.)

If you want to make it optional, you could also put it in a toolbar that
the user can enable/disable.

Steve Dunham
dunham@cse.msu.edu
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~dunham