List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: embedded viewer vs external program
From:       "Ed Zaborowski" <kde-usability () thezees ! homelinux ! net>
Date:       2003-02-27 17:08:30

<opinion>
    I personally abhore items opening in konqueror when I am browsing.
</opinion>

<suggestion>
    I believe that we can somewhat get a middle ground here. We are trying
to get konqueror to display information. Audio (ogg, mp3, etc) files aren't
really visual information. As such I think it would be more appropriate to
either:
        a) Open the audio item in the default application.
        b) Preview the item in konqueror but in a method differently than
what is currently being done.

Let me explain my position. Currently, previewing an audio item in konqueror
takes over the entire window that you were browsing files in. If we were to
change it so that the embedded player were to display in a smaller part of
the windows, somewhat like, Luke Chatburn has drafted up for the messages
with the subject action area in konqueror. The player would be embedded into
a smaller part of the browser window, allowing the user to still browse.
This solution obviously wouldn't work as well for other types of
information, i.e. visual information, text files, graphics, etc.
</suggestion>

<general>
    I think part of the problem is that people do open konqueror in file
manager mode, to manage files, and do expect that the pertinent application,
when opening the file will launch. I also believe that opening the file in
an embedded view changes the nature of what many people wanted to originally
accomplish. When I  put <favorite image viewer here> on my computer, I
expect it to open up my image files.
</general>