List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror Menu Reorganisation
From:       Benoit Walter <b.walter () free ! fr>
Date:       2003-02-24 19:38:51

Hello,

Thanks for your comments, I have made some changes which should correct most
of the problems you pointed out...

> i would guess that people will be in "window" or "tab" mode at any given
> time and rarely switch quickly between the two. grouping them likewise
> would probably speed up the time to find the "right" New or Duplicate item
> as well as create a better affinity between Close Tab and the rest...

Allright, I think that's actually a better choice.

> but Print should stay. there is work right now to bring printing from
> konqueror a reality, so you just select a document and hit "Print" and the
> right app opens in the background and prints the darn thing. Print should
> stay.

OK, print should stay !

> the KDirStat entry is actually a view part, just as Cervisia is which also
> appears there.. why wouldn't these appear in the Open With -> submenu you
> provided, since that is exactly what they do?

That's actually a big usabilty problem in the current menu layout. It's
sometimes difficult to know if an action will be applied to the currently
selected item, or to the current directory :
For example, if you select a directory :

File -> Open with KDirStat
will be applied to the current directory, not the selected one

but Edit -> Delete
will delete the selected directory

That's why I suggested moving to "Tools" the actions which are applied to the
current directory. "Open" and "Open With" open the selection, and are not
enabled when nothing is selected.
Another possility is to apply these actions to the current directory when no
file is selected, but I think this solution is a little bit confusing... Any
idea ?

> Edit menu:
>
> i'm guessing that having Quit at the end of the edit menu is a typo? =)

Since Trolltech fixed the clipboard bug, I just use Copy & Paste a little bit
too much :-)

> i don't agree with removing New Directory, even if it is duplicated in File
> / Create New. it is a very, very common action in file management mode,
> likely more so than selecting "Copy Files..." it should remain in the Edit
> menu as a stand alone item based on usage alone IMHO...

You are right, I have added it again in the "Location" menu. The problem is
that there are many items with the word "new" in this menu...

>  i'm not sure the "Actions" menu really speaks to its purpose. it only
> saves one item in the menu as laid out, while leaving Copy and Move files
> out on the main menu. i'm not sure i understand the logic there...

What I really mean by "Actions" is not only Delete and Shred, but other
operations which can be applied to files. For example, the action submenu for
an image file could be :
- Rotate 90
- Rotate 180
- Rotate 270
- Convert to ->
----------
- Shred

> it seems you missed listing the new Select submenu as well...

Oups...

> as for Paste only being enabled when a directory is selected.. there is
> always an implied directory: the one you are viewing. i think Paste should
> *always* be on and *always* work on that directory alone.

Of course. I just meant that it should not be enabled when a normal file is
selected but I will remove the ambiguous comment "Only if a directory is
selected".

Benoit Walter