List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Putting my money where my mouth is
From:       "Luke Chatburn" <luke () linuxcomment ! com>
Date:       2003-02-22 10:31:56

Hi Mosfet...

I was the one posting on PCLinuxOnline...

I ran up a prototype .ui, Aaron and I bounced it back and forth a bit, with
some changes being thought of, but we didn't get to the stage of either
deciding to do it or junk it.

Effectively, the design unifies Style, Window Decorations and Colors under
one 'Style' control module, with Themes spun off to a separate application,
due to limited use (perhaps a good chance to re-imagine what a theme manager
should be?).

The screeny for the design is here:
http://www.silklantern.com/snapshot5.jpg

As I said, we agreed that Themes should be spun off, that Colors should be
integrated into the Style tab, and effects should move to being the second
tab, instead of a dialog box. The general idea is that the preview at the
bottom be a preview of an entire window (only widgets are shown atm, because
I just stole a .ui file from webcvs!) effectively, with the window, widget
and colour controls directly above it, so you can craft the look of your
windows in one single tab. It has space issues, but it could be pretty cool.

The trouble is, I have no clue how to code control modules :) I'm sure I
could read through a few and work it out, but then that would leave me stuck
trying to figure out how to change the styles and colours on the preview
window. No idea how KDE does this....

Of course, Mosfet, you wrote the stuff to start with, so a few tips or some
help would be great :)

-Luke