List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Delete, move and merge kedit, kate and kwrite
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-02-21 22:48:58

Waldo wrote:
> Yes, in fact KApplication::quit() is called automatically when the user
>  closes the last window.

Perfect. =)

> Changing "Close" to "Close Document" (Or whatever is appropriate, e.g.
> "Close File") is a good idea I think.

(...or "Close Tab" or "Close View" etc.) Would be perfect imo. =)

> I'm not convinced that "Quit" should become "Close Window".

In a strict SDI world I'd have no problem with "Quit" staying as is. But KDE
already includes programs like KMail which starts up with a single window and
is then potentially spawing several separate mail windows opened from the
main window. The main window still contains a "Quit" command in any case, and
since the user started with that window it might not even be so far off for
him to think that "Quit" will close the main window and all its children at
once. Clarifying this as "Quit KMail" would be even more misleading, and
clarifying it as "Quit this Window" is nonsense as you rightly pointed out
already. "Close Window" on the other hand describes the actual behavior and
makes sense even with KMail.

Cheers back =)
Datschge
--
KDE 3.0 was  the  breakthrough  in technology
KDE 3.1 was  the  breakthrough  in  eye candy