List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMenu
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-02-07 18:11:29

b.walter@free.fr wrote:

>I know this topic will perhaps never end, but I would like to talk about
>another possible solution for the kmenu layout.
>
>A possible solution would be to 2 different menus, one for desktop and file
>system operations (destinations in the Aaron's TOM) :
>- Devices
>- Home directory
>- Recent documents
>- Settings
>- Help
>- Lock screen
>- Logout
>
>And another for applications (Or Tasks) :
>- Developement tools
>- Amusement & games
>- Graphic & Multimedia
>- Internet tools
>- Office work
>- All applications
>
>This would make another menu, but new users can very quickly guess how it
>works. I think MacOS solution is quite similar, the advantage is to have both a
>clear menu with a minimum of items (like windows, but with better application
>categories) and a fast access to elements (like in KDE).
>
>Opinions ?

I'm all for this concept. There's no good reason to keep both a single
menu other than that it serves as a central place for the user to do all
kinds of things. Weigh this against the benefits of seperating it into
an 'Actions' and a 'Applications' menu and you can make you decision.

The problem is that this is one of those 'big' changes that few are
willing to submit.. even if it were the best solution usability-wise.

Yes, I'm trolling :)

- wvl