List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: device mounting
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2003-02-07 0:24:20

Vitaly Shishakov wrote:
> so, i suggest, that a task of such auto-unmount daemon should be:
> watching devices activities, and trace the devices that were mounted by the
> current user. the daemon should try to unmount such device when the user
> presses the eject button, and in floppy case (which should always be
> mounted with 'sync' option) -- such daemon should watch it's activity and
> do necessary mount's and unmount's all the time, and for example, warn the
> user when he ejects the floppy before all the data is flushed to it, or,
> when umount fails, warn the user about the reasins of it (for example --
> who else or which application locks it). Also, the daemon could also watch
> mounts done by other users, and serve info about them as needed.

(disclaimer: I don't know how super/automount work internally in detail.
I'm just spreading my wishes which I would like to be commented by the
list)

PROCESSING OF DRIVE'S EJECT BUTTON
I have no idea whether cd or zip drives can signal the operating system
that someone pressed the drive's eject button (btw problem: user
identification). But for a single user system it would be nice if such a
signal exists and would result in an automatic unmount if doable
otherwise a popup message with the locking processes. Yes, I like your
idea. Would be very usable IMO, too.

UNDOING PREMATURE FLOPPY DISC EJECTION
As you said the floppy disc can be ejected anytime (on x86). What would
be cool if the operating system would accept a premature eject (before
full syncing) _without_ blocking the floppy for the rest of life and
could signal the need for further syncing. This would result in a popup
message ("Please put disc (label,id) back.") so the user has the chance
to undo this mistake. But this lacks support in the os I guess.

MARKING UNSYNCED STATUS ON DEVICE ICONS
Additionally there could be a small marker at the devive icon whether it
is synced or not. This way you always know if the disk (cd, floppy) is
ejectable or not (like the "changed" marker in editing windows).

MARKING OWNED BY SOMEONE ELSE STATUS ON DEVICE ICONS
Imagine: The zip drive in your lab might not be in your view but you
would like to know whether it is usable or not. A small marker on the
device icon could tell you. And the properties dialog might even tell
you who has mounted it so you could ask him whether he still needs the
drive (dreaming: even by IM perhaps: RMB on user's name, select "Send
instant message", hey this would be cool everywhere!!!)

Well, sounds like whishes but they would be usefull for everybody,
wouldn't they?

Friedrich