List:       kde-usability
Subject:    New actions for group all/allFiles
From:       Daniele Pighin <daniele () dcs ! it>
Date:       2003-02-02 11:33:12

Any time I happen to install kde on some machine, I always end up creating two
actions for the all/allFiles mimetype:

- Compress this file (command: "bzip2 -k")
- Send as Attachment (command: "kmail --attach")

As this are very often needed functionalities, I think it wouldn't be a bad
idea to add them to a default kde installation (the latter depending on
kmail, of course).

Anyhow, these items happen to be put in the "open with.." submenu.

Therefore I was wondering wether a top level "actions" (or wathever you want
to call it) context-menu entry could be added, to hold such actions to be
performed on files.

This would also apply to kde applications that provide menu add-ons: for
example, installing k3b adds a top-level menu entry: "Create data cd with
k3b".
As it is good to have applications adding actions to the context-menu, but we
don't want the menu to be too crowded, an "actions" menu would imho be a good
compromise between usability and easy access to functionalities.

Thanks for your attention

Daniele