List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: background layout
From:       John Levon <levon () movementarian ! org>
Date:       2003-01-30 17:04:59

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:56:22AM -0500, Gordon Tyler wrote:

> Looks much better. Quick nitpick: "Advanced Options" should have an
> ellipsis: "Advanced Options..." since it opens a new dialog (I assume?).

Actually I wish the guidelines were more clear on this. To quote

Notice that every item in a menu that first opens a dialog requiring
additional information must be labelled with a trailing ellipsis (...)
(e.g. Save As..., Open...). There's no space between the menu item and
the "...". A simple confirmation dialog is not considered a dialog that
requires additional information.

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/menus/index.html

This leaves open the question of the exact meaning of "requiring
additional information" here. Note that other platform's UI standards
all contradict each other, or are equally vague.

regards
john